Update 10/05/09
Since it seems like this piece will never get posted if I keep waiting until I get a chance to upload those 'breathtaking views' I was taking about, I'm just going to post it. Pics to come with some later post I suppose.
=====================
08/22/09
On Day 2 we left the congested streets of Beirut behind and were off to Bazhoun - the village in the mountains where our family is from. Driving up there bordered terrifying, but I have decided that Lebanon traffic is getting a post all to itself. So for now, lets pretend we just teleported up to Bazhoun and got there safe and sound.
Our destination was this amazing 3 bedroom/2 bath grotto style home belonging to one of my uncles. South Africa Aunt greeted us and had the house stocked and ready. There were even seperate rooms for me and Cousin but we refused. What good is a vacation if you cannot have a sleepover? Even when you are over 20, staying in the same room is required for all-night gossip!
Our backyard terrace had a breath taking view. I sat outside staring out over the valley every day and hardly wanted to move. It was the perfect reading/writing/meditating spot. In Lebanon, a lot of people have a house down below for the school year, and then they come up into the mountains, to their summer vacation home, when it gets too hot. All I can say is - this is the life! If you want to find yourself - go on a vacation to the mountains of Lebanon.
Another perk of being in the mountain - and hindrance at the same time - is that everyone knows everyone, and it will be known that you are not from around there. Which is fine, all we had to say was: bint (daughter of) Robby, bint Ralph, bint Moussi, and everyone knew who we were. In order to be somebody you need to have a long line of family aparently. Fine with me, that just means I belong. And you really don't have to explain very much after you have said those few words. It is known - you are Lebanese. And being Lebanese means you will be entertaining every day - whether you want to or not. The same way anyone you ask for directions or anything else will invite you in for coffee - you'd better invite anyone who walks past your house and greets you in as well. It is the neighborly thing to do. Tip: ALWAYS have coffee and sweets handy. You'll need them.
In the village, we quickly met shop owners, neighbors, and friends. We were there before summer started, so there wasn't that much nightlife when we first got there, but we amused ourselves walking around Hasroun (the next village over) and visiting all kinds of tourist attractions during the day. The thing to do around here, which is what we did in our last week mostly - is to go to Hasroun and join the women walking up and down while the men drive up and down in their cars. Our last three nights MiamiCousin, SurinameCousin and I would go sit on the terrace at Los Amigos, a bar/lounge in Hasroun, and just talk and people watch. And we would actually see the same 10 cars driving up and down 4 times. Too funny. We met some of them as well when there was a one man show in Los Amigos on the third night. My dad's reaction: 'O it is still the same!?' And mind you - he is talking about 30 years ago. It is comforting that some things will never change. Next time I visit Lebanon, I will go after summer has started, and I hope I can still go sit on the terrace at Los Amigos, and just watch the cars go by night after night while drinking my glass of wine and listening to the chatter of familiar voices. It's nice to know you instantly belong in a place where you have never even been.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment