For the Love of Travel

'I have not been everywhere yet, but it is on my list'

I LOVE traveling and travel every chance I get. I started making a 'wishlist' of places I wanted to visit a while back, but once I had more than a quarter of the countries in the world listed I gave up. I suppose I would just like to see the world.

I created this blog to remember my journeys, keep family and friends updated on my adventures (since I am very bad at keeping in touch when traveling and prefer to not have internet or a phone at all), and it makes it easier to share pictures. The blog is by no means all-encompassing, because I do not plan on writing about past travels and I am not good at updating blogs, but owh well, an update will come when it comes :) .

Enjoy!

p.s. The Pedagogy of Action South Africa trips have their very own blogs:

http://pedagogysouthafrica08.blogspot.com/
http://pedagogysouthafrica07.blogspot.com/



Thursday, August 13, 2009

Downtown and the Rolex



After spending the afternoon in ABC mall where I bought the coolest outfit - which I am not sure will make it to the streets in Midwest USA- our first night took us to Downtown Beirut.

'Downtown' is the town square ...which is really more of a town circle. It includes a clock tower with a Rolex in the center of the circle, the most beautiful expensive boutiques in the streets which go out to every direction , and many chic restaurants lined up with waiters inviting you in at every step.

We had dinner at Al Balad, a restaurant I found in my Lonely Planet. After this afternoon I was determined to redeem myself and prove Lonely Planet was useful! Even if just ink on paper. The food was AMAZING. 1 point to Ms. Globetrotter and her Lonely Planet :) . We sat outside, because Uncle hates smoke, and there is not an inch of Lebanon that is smoke free. Whether it's mothers smoking an Arguileh with their children eating ice cream right next to them, or men smoking cigarettes with their father-in-law, tabacco is an unmissable cultural staple.

After eating way too much food, which, as Uncle noted, is one of the most healthy cuisines ever so it doesn't matter, we go back to our hotel. Cousin and I meant to go out, but are too exhausted, so just hang out. Tomorrow is another day.

Already in Love with Lebanon,

Ms. Globetrotter

No comments: